Christine Quinn Betrays LGBT - Celebrates Cardinal-Designate and LGBT Hater Timothy Dolan
As usual, openly out lesbian New York City Council Christine Quinn has sold out the LGBT community in New York City in exchange for political electability. Last week, Speaker Quinn made congratulatory comments about Archbishop Timothy Dolan's promotion to the position of Cardinal within the Roman Catholic Church, even though His Grace the Archbishop vocally and actively opposed the passage of marriage equality in New York State last year. No wonder that based on Speaker Quinn's lack of integrity on very basic issues, she has been described as "standard political flimflam."While Archbishop Dolan's promotion to join the College of Cardinals was not a surprise, to The New York Times, let's say, neither should have been how quickly Speaker Quinn betrayed the LGBT community by her expressions of support for Archbishop Dolan.
What measurable, real, and tangible actions have openly lesbian City Council Speaker Christine Quinn taken in respect of LGBT civil rights ?
Let's examine the following further examples of LGBT civil rights violations, to which City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, a high-profile openly lesbian politician, has been spineless in her response :
- When over 30 men where being entrapped and were the targets of sexual orientation profiling by the NYPD, what did Christine Quinn do ? That's right, she did nothing to hold the NYPD accountable for their systematic discrimination of LGBTQS men.
- Each year, Speaker Quinn allocates taxpayer money to support hate groups that discriminate against LGBT New Yorkers. Ask yourselves : What is an openly lesbian politician doing by funding groups that discriminate against LGBT New Yorkers ?
- On the evening when Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the historic marriage equality bill into law, the NYPD raided the Eagle Bar in yet another demonstration of sexual orientation profiling. What has Speaker Quinn done to hold the NYPD accountable for their systematic discrimination of the gay men patrons of the Eagle ? That's right, she's done nothing.
- After the Obama administration violated the due process rights of an LGBT whistleblower, what did Speaker Quinn do ? She turned the other way and pretended not to look.
- When one of her own staffers, Tony Simone, dropped the F-bomb on gay rights leaders Allen Roskoff and Donny Moss, what did Speaker Quinn do ? She did nothing.
- When Mayor Michael Bloomberg appealed the 2005 landmark marriage equality ruling by Judge Doris Ling-Cohan,, what did Christine Quinn do ? BINGO ! She did nothing.
With an LGBT record like this, LGBTQS New Yorkers would do good to question Speaker Quinn's integrity and commitment to LGBT civil rights.